The government is planning to seize two multi-million shilling malls under construction in Nairobi in a bid to recover cash lost in the Sh9 billion corruption scandal at the National Youth Service (NYS).
The two structures, which reportedly belong to a senior government official, are among assets targeted by the State in the crackdown on the NYS scam.
Other properties targeted include houses, plots, cars and other personal properties belonging to the suspects. Their bank accounts have also been frozen. The Standard reports that the two multi-million malls are under construction on Kangundo Rd in Nairobi.
The State will further seize more than 20 vehicles including 20 saloon cars and four luxury four-wheel drive cars belonging to a businessman whose wife was recently barred from travelling abroad. The Assets and Recovery Agency has allegedly been profiling the property before acquiring court orders to freeze them.
“Even though he claims he bought these cars long before venturing to NYS, his wealth is suspect. They have been frozen,” an insider told the Standard.
“The move affects a family at large. If a husband has been flagged, his wife is also affected.”
Speaking during a press briefing on Monday,Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji said several bank accounts belonging to the suspects had been frozen and assured that the cash stolen will be recovered.
“In addition to prosecution, we are looking at recovering the proceeds of crimes as well as establishing the tax status of the companies and individuals in the crimes,” Mr Haji said.
“In the meantime, several bank accounts that the funds were channeled through have been frozen. My office is working with DCI and the Assets Recovery Agency in that regard,” he added.