Inspector General of police Joseph Boinnet has cancelled the training for 10,000 recruits that was scheduled for Sunday.
The Inspector General’s statement comes a day after the National Police Service Commission announced that it would hold the recruitment exercise a fresh nullifying President Uhuru Kenyatta’s directive that those recruited in 2014 should report for training immediately.
In a statement on Saturday, Boinnet said the recruits should instead participate in the new exercise scheduled for April 20 adding that new training dates will be communicated to successful applicants.
“This is to further the statement issued by the National Police Service Commission on Friday regarding the recruitment exercise for the National Police Service,” Boinett said.
“I wish to reiterate that the National Police Service Commission in Conjunction with the National Police Service will carry out recruitment exercise for young Kenyans…on April 20,” he added.
On Friday, NPSC chairman Johnstone Kavuludi said that the IG had requested the commission to start the recruitment process.
The directive was issued after the President had ordered recruits to return for training following the terror attack on the Garissa University College on Thursday last week in which 147 students were killed.
Uhuru said the rise in insecurity was being fuelled by the shortage of police officers.