Kenya confirms 216 deaths from cholera outbreak
Ministry launches surveillance to ensure new cases are detected in time
Nairobi: Kenya’s health ministry confirmed on Friday that 216 people have died from an outbreak of cholera since December last year.
Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Health Nicholas Muraguri revealed the country registered a total of 13,299 cases across 28 counties, Xinhua reported.
He said that multiple peaks have been observed as the outbreak spreads to new counties since it was first reported in Nairobi, showing propagated transmission.
He said a total of 259 new cases were reported in the last one week in various health facilities in parts of the country.
However, the official said that 16 counties so far have managed to successfully contain the outbreak of the disease. “Even though the disease continues being reported in some parts of the country, no death has been reported in the past one week,” he said.
“There are 103 current admissions in North Eastern, Central and Western Kenya health facilities and they are expected to be discharged soon,” Muraguri added.
The official said the ministry has launched surveillance in the community to ensure new cases are detected in time and household water treatment supply and dosing of wells with chlorine are being undertaken.