United States International University- Africa (USIU-A) students protest along Thika Road on July 13, 2016. Retired President Daniel arap Moi appears to have sold a piece of land belonging to the university to two different buyers, according to records provided by USIU-A. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP
Former President Moi’s lawyer confirms selling land to George Kiongera
- Moi first transferred the land in Muthaiga North estate to DPS International Limited on November 10, 1988, while he was still President.
- Three weeks ago, Retired President Moi he used the fresh title deed to sell the land to a developer for Sh500 million.
- USIU-A is accusing Dr George Kiongera of grabbing its land.
- Dr Kiongera, who lives in the US, provided documents to show that he bought the land from Mr Moi.
- USIU-A on Wednesday produced what it says are records going back 34 years to prove ownership of the land.
Former President Moi’s Lawyer Jinaro Kibet has confirmed selling a 25 acre parcel of piece of land on behalf of the former president. The land located in Lower Muthaiga is worth more than half a billion shillings and is the subject of a dispute between the United states International University Africa and businessman George Kiongera. Both claim the property
On one hand USIU says it bought the property from ICEA Insurance company, and on the other Kiongera has supplied documents showing he bought the land from retired president Moi.
Ken Mijungu tried to sift through the claims and counterclaims that have both the institution and the businessman on edge.