South Korea-based company Ceragem has spoken out after one of its products severely injured Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria.
Kuria was admitted to Karen Hospital two weeks ago with third-degree burn wounds after his feet exploded after using an electric mat purchased from the company in Nairobi.
The MP said he bought the gadget called Ceratonic Mat through a friend for Sh250,000 to cure numbness in his feet.
Kuria has since undergone three surgeries and is currently recuperating at the hospital.
“This gadget happened to do some slow burning of my feet. I was trying to cure a problem by introducing a killer solution. I went home at night and my feet just exploded,” said Kuria.
“Something that was supposed to be a solution has seen me undergo three surgeries.”
In a statement, Ceragem regretted the incident and apologized to MP Kuria, saying the accident may have been as a result of the politician’s pre-existing health condition that they were not aware of since the mat was bought by his friend.
“We are saddened by what happened. It’s not our intention for our products to be harmful to users. The device was bought by one of the friends to the honorable MP, and we didn’t know prior if he has a pre-existing health condition,” the company said in a statement.
Ceragem’s researcher Martin Mulwa asserted that all of the company’s products are safe and have been approved by the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS).
The mat is sturdy material with an internally integrated wiring system that provides warmth and heat through coil wires. It is plugged into a socket and can be set on different levels of heat.
Ceragem is a global healthcare company that deals in a range of thermal therapeutic products like electric blankets.