Kenya: 25 Questions With Kimberley Leonard, the Kenyan-Born Sky News Presenter
Born in Kenya 40 years ago, Kimberley is a Sky News Presenter in the United Kingdom, with over 20 years’ experience in broadcasting. She started her career at Capital FM 98.4, Kenya’s first private commercial radio station and household name for training the best in the radio industry in Kenya.
We are dressed to the nines, seated at the K Lounge, a grand and welcoming lobby of the Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, for a tête-à-tête. Kimberley is accompanied by her sister, Capital FM’s Breakfast show co presenter Davina Leonard.
Brimming with quintessential sweet and savoury treats, the afternoon tea delights at Kempinski are served in a masterpiece bespoke jewelry drawer-chest which truly makes the presentation stunning and eye catching and comes with a myriad of drawers, filled with the most delectable, fashionable patisserie and enticing savoury treats. You open each drawer, and an array of sweet, delightful treats await accompanied by gold dinnerware cutlery.
It’s a beautiful Friday afternoon in Nairobi, the weather is perfect & ‘behaving’: the blue sky up above dotted with fluffy white clouds with the sun shinning brightly over the city. I am honored and privileged to be hosting Afternoon Tea at Villa Rosa Kempinski in honor of Kimberley Leonard.
The great novelist Henry James once said, “There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as Afternoon tea.” Indeed nothing is more soothing and relaxing, and truly brings people together like a hot cup of tea. Whenever there are more than two people in a room, one is invariably going to ask “give me some tea.”
To spice things up, a Moët & Chandon afternoon tea is the quintessential flair that adds a touch of indulgence to a gathering of beautiful people… after all, an iconic champagne chosen to mark celebrations since 1869 is Moët & Chandon Impérial Brut.
25 Quick Fire Questions with Kimberley Leonard
If Eliud Kipchoge, the greatest marathon runner of all-time, came to your home for dinner, what meal/s would you prepare him?
“As an avid Eliud fan, I know he has 3 things on his diet plan – ugali, bananas and chai! That’s it!”
2. Diamonds or pearls?
3. If you had to choose only 3 adjectives to describe yourself, what would they be?
“Focused. Kind. Realistic.”
4. What was your worst subject in school?
“Maths. Physics. Chemistry. And Maths again.”
5. What’s a relationship deal breaker for you?
“Being unkind, selfish, unambitious and being unaccomplished.”
6. Most Embarrassing thing on air you have encountered?
“I’m trying to think, but I guess I’ve just blocked them all out! I do have an irrational fear of falling over though. So please, if that ever happens, don’t make me a gif! Hahaha”
7. What’s one thing that can instantly make your day better?
“Listening to a really good song while the sun is shining.”
8. If you could include one Kenyan town/city in the list of must visit by any foreigner, what would it be?
9. What’s the first thing you notice about someone when you meet them?
“If they’re arrogant – and if that arrogance is based on insecurity. Which is always usually is.”
10. At what job would you be terrible @?
“Anything I to do with maths or physics. Which is a shame as I’ve recently wanted to learn how to fly. I think I may just have to be a passenger!”
11. Sms or WhatsApp?
“Whatsapp. Although weirdly, there are some friends that I only SMS. I don’t know what distinguishes whether you’re an SMS or a WhatsApp friend, but there is a clear distinction!”
12. Do you believe in having a “five-year plan”?
“I mean it sounds like a good idea – maybe you could help draw one up for me??”
13. Favorite Childhood memories of a Kenyan TV show?
“Do you remember the German shows that used to be on after the national anthem was played on KBC? There was a guy called Peter or something? Then watching Gummy Bears on KTN before Neighbours came on! Can you remember the hype when KTN started showing Neighbours! Those were the days! Oh – and Fresh Prince on a Sunday evening. And Life Goes on on a Tuesday evening and 90210! When was that on? It was always late, I remember that much!”
14. Which family member do you confide in most?
“I used to tell my cat Excuse Me everything. But then he died.”
15. Do you have any tattoos?
16. One present every lady needs to buy her man- boyfriend/ husband on their birthday?
“Ha! I’m the wrong person to ask! A ticket out of there if they’re not behaving properly?”
17. What’s something an outsider wouldn’t know about your industry?
“It really is so unglamorous. I mean, really unglamorous.”
18. If you were stranded on a tropical island what 2 things are you taking with you?
“A chef and some sunscreen.”
19. Do you have a song that reminds you of a relationship and if so what song?
“Bootylicious (Destiny’s Child). It doesn’t remind me of a relationship, but I think it is a good Life Approach to have.”
20. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to try but you’ve been too scared to do?
“Fly a plane.”
21. Board games- Monopoly of Scrabble?
“No. These things are so boring. Ask my family. I either am forced to cheat or I get too bored. I need my sister Kath to keep me on the straight and narrow.”
22. What’s one thing on your bucket list currently?
“I want to see Alanis Morissette in concert – she was meant to play in the UK in November, but… Covid. Spotify tells me I was in the top 0.05% of Alanis listeners, so at this point, I think she should be inviting me to her concert personally! But seriously – she has good ways of looking at things. You should have a listen.”
23. What’s the silliest excuse you ever used to get out of a date?
“No, no, I don’t do silly. I would just ask “are you SILLY?” if someone i didn’t want to go on a date with, asked me out! Ha! “
24. If you could have a house by the ocean or in the mountains, which would you choose?
“The ocean – for sure. Is there anywhere more perfect that the Kenyan coast? No. 100% there is not.”
25. If you could pick one, what would you rather be watching on a Sunday: Formula One or Football?
“I don’t know what these things are.”
(Special thanks to Villa Rosa Kempinski, 5-star Hotel for the Afternoon Tea at the K Lounge. The afternoon tea offering includes a selection of classic English scones, homemade cakes and pastries, finger sandwiches and tea / coffee from the beverage menu. Call +254 703 049 000 to make your afternoon tea reservation or for more information on delivery service or e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .)