Diaspora: How to transfer a car logbook in Kenya
Before the advent of the internet, getting government services was like a nightmare…for those of you old enough to have seen those days. Nowadays, services can be rendered at the touch of a button using the magic of the internet.
One of the services that citizens struggled getting back in the past, was the transfer of a logbook from one Kenyan to another after a car had been purchased.
But things have never been so busy as they are today. Below is an easy and complete way to get a logbook transferred using the National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) website.
Below is how to transfer a logbook or Call:
- NTSA Help Desk: 0709 932 300 (safaricom), 020 6632 300
Register to TIMSGo to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp
- Go to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Both parties (buyer and seller) have to create individual accounts.
- Click on REGISTER AN ACCOUNT and chose the registration options (individual, car dealer, financial institution or company)
- Fill in the details as required
- To receive an SMS alert for the secret code that confirms a successful transaction, ensure you click on the subscribe SMS option at the top right corner
How to make the transfer
- Click on VEHICLE REGISTRATION to access the menu
- Click on APPLY FOR TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
- Click on CREATE NEW button and key in the vehicle registration number
- Click on INQUIRE to find information about the vehicle
- Then click VIEW to get more information
- UPLOAD a scanned copy of the logbook
- Under New Vehicle, the seller should select whether they are individual, company, dealer or financial institution.
- Key in national ID number if making the transfer as an individual
- If transacting as a company, key in PIN number the click the ADD option
- Proceed to security verification, select MOBILE
- Select SEND VERIFICATION CODE then enter the code you will receive on your phone
- Once the seller clicks SUBMIT, the buyer will receive a notification via SMS that the vehicle has been transferred to them and that they are required to either accept or decline the transfer.
- To accept the transfer
- Log in to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Click on VIEW to see the vehicle details
- Under security verification, select VERIFICATION MODE and click SEND to get the code on your phone
- Key in the verification and either ACCEPT or DECLINE the transfer (decline will revert the vehicle back to the owner)
- If you click on ACCEPT, fill in the required information
- Then click on SUBMIT for the application to be sent to NTSA for processing.
- Your logbook will be ready within seven working days.