CAfRIC “End Alcohol and Drug Use Devastation”
Are we investing IN our families or FOR them?
We all want the best for our children and or families, and we do our best to ensure their future stability. Unfortunately, there is no family that can claim immunity to threats such as mental illness, substance use or domestic conflict. All families are vulnerable. The difference is on how well we are prepared to prevent or confront the risk factors.
Irene Njoroge is offering family education on five webinar module topics to be rolled out sequentially via Zoom video in five different sessions, at Ksh 1000 each session. According to Irene, the sessions are more beneficial if taken together, however, participants have the option to register for the session that they feel benefits them the most. She says that this education is aimed at preventing the destruction of families. For those that are already affected, the program will equip them with practical skills to confront, engage, support and advocate for themselves or their loved ones.
The webinars will cover the topics below. Note: Follow these steps to register for these webinars. 1). Visit www.zoom.us to create a free account with your name and email address if you don’t have one. 2). Follow the link to register for the specific webinar you wish to attend using the name and email address you used to create the zoom account. 3) After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar, and how to submit your payment via Mpesa. Once your payment is received, you will be able to join the webinar at the specified date and time.
- Grief and Loss: What it is and what it is not, the various ways we experience grief and loss across the lifespan, the symptoms of grief, the difference between the two emotions of grief (Pain and Sadness), and how we can support ourselves and our loved ones to heal from the pain of grief. Register in advance for this webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_7Tr1FBF0QlmXOtAMTOW6zA
- Trauma: What it is, its impact on a child’s brain, the symptoms of trauma in children and adults, how to parent or support a child who has experienced trauma or grief, and how to support a loved one who has experienced trauma and is actively struggling with symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Register in advance for this webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pF_jso9VSHuGMog-No3Kdg
- Substance Use: The different substances of abuse in Kenya, the risk factors, the protective factors, why some people find it hard to stop using alcohol or drugs than others, what symptoms of substance withdrawal look like, how to safely stop using substances without the risk of adverse health consequences, how to identify when a loved one is using substances, and the treatment options that families need to know to advocate and support a family member to recover from substance use. Register in advance for this webinar:https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_uK3Z6HOyRJukjcp2gLvm_w
- Harm Reduction: Tips to avoid harms associated with the use of alcohol or drugs and how to identify when one is developing a physical health problem as a result of alcohol or drug use. Register in advance for this webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_p4nz3TTBTVCamWTEi3004A
- Mental Illness and Suicide Prevention: The various mental health diagnosis, the warning signs of suicide, and when to get help for yourself or a loved one. Register in advance for this webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_K3kVM_g4T4GHhTS-b9TtJQ
Irene is the founder of CAfRIC International, an organization that champions and promote mental wellness among Black families in Canada.