Former presidential candidate Raila Odinga on Wednesday announced that the National Super Alliance (NASA) coalition was transforming into a resistance movement, the National Resistance Movement.
Making the declaration at Uhuru Park while also calling on his supporters to boycott today’s repeat presidential election, Raila called on them to boycott businesses that the movement perceives to be supportive of the Jubilee Party.
On Thursday, the movement though Chief Resistance Officer Norman Mogaya in a statement said “we maintain that we have been left with no choice but to use civil resistance against the state that continues to ignore the sovereign will of the people as championed by His Excellency Hon. Raila Amollo Odinga.”
Along with the total boycott of the Independent electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) exercise, the National Resistance Movement in the statement called for the boycott of the following companies:
- Safaricom Limited and services (including M-Pesa and M-Shwari)
- Equity Bank Limited (Banking services, investments, scholarship, etc)
- All Shell Kenya Limited business (as well as vivo Energy Kenya)
- All Total Petrol Stations
- All OiLibya petrol stations (including allifiliated restaurants – Pizza Inn, Chicken Inn, Creamy Inn, Galitos, My Shop, etc)
- All Gulf Oil petrol stations
- Britam Holdings Limited (Britam Kenya)
- Capital FM
- National Newspaper (All Nation newspaper)
- The Standard Newspaper