Miguna nomination issue to welcome ward reps from recess
Nairobi County Assembly will resume business on Tuesday with the issue of Miguna Miguna’s nomination as deputy governor lingering.
The members broke for recess on May 3.
Last month, Speaker Beatrice Elachi said she will present the letter nominating lawyer Miguna Miguna as the next deputy governor in the House for debate.
“I have no authority to reject a nominee Governor Sonko has picked. That is why I will present the letter nominating Miguna to the county assembly so that members can approve or reject it,” she said during the meeting with members of Nairobi Liaison committee at Flamingo Beach Hotel in Mombasa.
Governor Sonko last month chose Dr Miguna as Mr Polycarp Igathe’s replacement, arguing that his work ethics will help him defeat cartels that have gripped the county by the throat.
He also said that the nomination was done legally.
“Mambo ya Miguna Miguna isikutishe… mambo ya loyalty isikutishe kwa sababu tuna say kwa bunge la assembly (do not be intimidated by the nomination of Miguna as we are loyal to you and we have the numbers in the Assembly),” he told President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday at Jacaranda Grounds in Nairobi where he was issuing title deeds.
However, the nomination of Miguna has caused backlash among ward representatives.
Led by Majority Leader Abdi Guyo, the ward representatives explained that Article 78(2) of the Constitution does not allow anyone with dual citizenship to be a state officer.
Ngara MCA Chege Mwaura said: “We honestly do not feel that Miguna is a source of stability. We have consulted amongst ourselves as the members of the vetting committee and it is our considered opinion that Miguna cannot be the person to help him achieve all the goals of Nairobi.”