A British Special Air Service (SAS) officer who has earned praise over his role in the killing of gunmen involved in DusitD2 terror attack earlier this week has reportedly left the country.
Reports in the British media indicate that the highly trained officer has been flown out of the country after his photos taken while rescuing victims during the attack went viral, hence putting his life at risk.
The Daily Mail reports that authorities fear for the soldier’s life as he could possibly be targeted for a retaliatory attack over his role in eliminating the terrorists.
“For his own safety, he is leaving the country as he could be tracked down. His safety is paramount. He is a decorated, veteran member of the SAS who was a member of D Squadron and extremely active in Syria taking part in a number of successful operations against ISIS. He had transferred to B squadron for this assignment,” the Daily Mail says.
The soldier was at one of the shopping malls in Nairobi when the attackers stormed DusitD2 complex on Tuesday and began shooting indiscriminately at persons inside the building.
The Sun reports that the unnamed SAS officer was in Kenya to train and monitor Kenyan soldiers and went to the scene immediately he received reports about the attack.
“British Special Forces always run towards the sound of gunfire. He fired off rounds during the operation. It’s a safe bet he hit his target — the SAS don’t miss. There’s no doubt his actions saved lives,” British media, The Sun says in a report.